Cob Southern Style???

Barnes barnes at netdoor.com
Sat Mar 20 08:37:13 CST 1999

Hello to Everyone!

We are very new to the world of cob, but already the excitement of the
whole idea has us both practically bursting at the seams!  We have been
looking at the archives of this list as well as getting our hands on
every publication on this building method that we can in order to learn
to do it right.  We do have a couple of questions that have come up and
it is our hope that some of you on this list might have some insight.

First of all let me state that we live in Central Mississippi.  Our
climate here is very erratic.  The winters can be severe or, as in this
years case, practically non-existent.  Summers are always an inferno.
The Spring and Fall are super save one thing. It tends to be very wet
during those tymes.  I can handle the design and construction of proper
drainage what ever is required of the site. I spent 12 years in the
irrigation and drainage business.

The soil in this area is almost pure red clay or a mixture of red clay
and river sand.  I have made a few test balls just from clumps dug and
have had great success with very little cracking.  The best seems to be
the ones that have more of the clay and little sand. The hardness is
like rock when dried and can be thrown on concrete without breaking.

I have yet to add any straw to the mixture and that is where my first
question comes in.  Straw is not easily found in this area. Hay is
plentiful, but actual straw is not.  One thing that is very readily
availiable and free is pine straw.  I was wondering if anyone has ever
used it in cob construction and if so did it work?

The second part of my query is if anyone knows of cob construction that
has been done in my area in the past. I have yet to find out about any
and would surely want to talk with someone who has built with it here if
possible.

Any other info that any of you may have that would help in our journey
into this would be greatly appreciated.  I must tell you that so far
everyone we have broached the subject with locally, which is mainly
friends and family,
is very skeptical about the feasibility of this type of construction
here.
In fact one very close relative compared me and this whole idea to a
famous literary fiqure by the name of Don Q who fought
windmills.LOL...not the first tyme I have run into that attitude...LOL.

Thanx in advance for any and all info ya'll can provide and have a
wonderful weekend!!!

Brett & Shell