Cob in cold climes

David Knapp DMKnapp at mail.rkd.snds.com
Sat Mar 20 05:52:23 CST 1999

paul,

i too have been contemplating solutions for our northern midwest winters in Illinois.  your 2 x 4's would have to have some type of deadmen attached to them like what they show in the cob books so that they won't pull out.  this would be quite allot of work, but is possible.

my experience is extremely limited, but have been wanted to move toward using only earth/people friendly materials as possible.  i have heard from several knowledgeable folks that it probably work very well to use a straw bale wall on the north and west (and possible the east walls in 9,000 degree year heating climates).  cob bonds very well to straw bale wall sections when the appropriate planning is use.  i am also toying with the idea of a living roof, with some type of timber-framed structure.  this would be compensate for our very hot and humid summer.  the winter snow load on the living roof also would tend to help the insulation value of the roof too.  rob roy, of the cordwood masonry fame has written extensively on how he does this.  perhaps you can borrow a few of his ideas and incorporate them into your plan.

dave
winnebago, illinois
http://www.bigfoot.com/~renewables/

>>> "Paul Procure" <tempo%nrtco.net at internet.rkd.snds.com> 03/19 5:41 PM >>>
As has been discussed on numerous occasions it appears that cob has no great R-value (something like 0.25 per inch).  I was thinking about the possibility of embedding two-by-eight studs into the cob mixture during construction leaving a four inch ridge into which I would put fiberglass or some other insulator.

 What possible adhesive problems would I have between the cob and the wood i.e. might the wood pull out of the wall?  Any other suggestions for Canadians in North America's attic?

Paul Procure