Cob FWD: Visit and Workshop from English Lime Putty Maker

Mark Piepkorn duckchow at mail2.greenbuilder.com
Sat Apr 3 16:29:18 CST 1999

From: "Athena & Bill Steen" <absteen at dakotacom.net>

To those of you wishing to explore the preparation of lime putty and using
it for plaster................

As part of the Mexico work and the desire to produce a good quality lime
putty, we finally tracked down someone who we thought had the kind of
expertise we were looking for and that was willing to volunteer their time
to a worthwhile cause.  It is actually a husband and wife team, Jeremy and
Jan Sharpe, who reside in the Devon area.  Their work is the production of
lime putties, mortars and plasters and also includes the repair of historic
cob buildings.  They recently produced the lime required for the
reconstruction of the Shakespeare Globe Theater in London.  A friend and
donor from Ciudad Obregon offered to pay part of the family's travel
expenses to Mexico and house them while there.  We are caring for them
during their visit and transporting them there and back.

The putty and other products produced by J&J Sharpe are considered to be
among the finest in England.  Wanting to take full advantage of this
opportunity, we didn't want to limit their exposure to just our Mexican
friends.  Since their visit coincided with a workshop on lime and earthen
plasters that we were helping present through DAWN (Joelee Joyce) of
Tucson, we asked Jeremy if he would be willing to help teach the first day
of the two day workshop and he was more than willing.

The workshop is the 17th and 18th of April at the home of Steve Kemble and
Carol Escott in Bisbee, Arizona.  We, along with Jeremy, will be teaching
the 17th on lime.  The 18th will be focused on earthen plasters and led by
Steve and Carol.  The lime portion will cover the basics of preparing lime
putty from quicklime and the basics of plastering with lime.  It will not
be an extensive course, but I would think that the exposure to Jeremy would
be a great way to get started off on the right foot when it comes to
working with lime.

More information can be gotten from Joelee of DAWN at 520-624-1673 or
dawnaz at earthlink.net   Cost - I don't know and Athena went to town with the
flyers.  That means contact Joelee, but I know the fees she charges are
very reasonable.

Bill

Athena & Bill Steen
The Canelo Project