[Fwd: Re: Cob Re: affordable land]

Sojourner sojournr at missouri.org
Sat Apr 24 12:26:26 CDT 1999

I assume this was meant for the list, so I'm forwarding it.  Hope that
was a correct assumption!  :D

Holly,
    Anywhere in the west, water is precious. Although it tends to be
those
of us in the southwest who have to scratch the hardest for it, the
availability of piped-in agua anywhere out here should not lull anyone
into
complacency.
    As I have mentioned before in the context of this list, I haul my
water,
appreciate and can account for every gallon. I don't find that a
hardship;
on the contrary - it keeps me in touch with the value of this
life-giving
resource and my use of it.
    Having grown up in the east, where my biggest water concern was how
pump thousands of gallons of the stuff out of my basement, this western
perspective has been a real - and needed - eye-opener.
    This is not to suggest that living with a surplus of potable water
in
the places you name would prove an inherent hardship...
Bob