Cob Status from Mauk

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Tue May 25 10:50:10 CDT 1999

Well I'm slowly gearing up toward getting some more photos on the ole
web site, but that will be about mid June before I actually get
to them posted but I figured I drum up a little interest ahead of time.

1.) I feel like the Captain in Moby Dick.

2.) I made the dicision that the Vigas (or Vigas-ettes, as in small
vigas) won't really be strong enough in the long run for some of my
spans, thus I've decieded to basically use the wood as a from and
continue with my ferro-cement roof. I feel a bit guilty but hey it
works gooder-n-hell and it really is easy to deal with the odd shapes
and curves and angles I have to deal with.

3.) Plaster plaster plaster and more plaster. I've almost got my
proto-type strawbale-earthbag wall plastered.

Question: has anyone tried to use a splatter gun (like for acustic
ceilings) with a wet earth plaster?

I found a source of wood slats for free! There is a furniture
manufacturer near me and they throw away these hard wood slats that are
scraps from the manufacturing process. Work great as tomatoe stakes as
well as roof slats, they are about 4 to 5 feet in length.

I'm still using some discarded carpet in my roof. I'm not using as I
first started. I find the chicken wire cement combo much stronger, but
I will pour a milkshake batter of lime plaster on my tar paper that is
on my roof slates, then lay the carpet top side down on to this
plaster. (to keep down any possiblity of mold etc. This will be a solid
roof. Then on top of this carpet (back side up) I will place my chicken
wire on top of this, the lay the cement on this. I will use some rebar
on with this running parralell to the vigas but on top to carry the
roof.

Since it's too much area for me to mix that much cement, I'm being very
carefull about doing the pour in logical and supporting sections such
that any cold joints won't pose any problems.

Anyway, the photos will make some of this more clear.

On my strawbales, I'm going with earth plaster directly on the bales,
but I'll put some type of lime plaster of the earth. Seems to be the
cheaper way to go, that is use straight earth plaster then coat with
some harder finish plaster like lime or cactus juice etc.

I also am going with fixed window and vents. I tried scrounging for
windows, but the different and mixed styles bothered me. Thus I'm
cobbing glass in as window and puting in vents at tops and or bottoms
as needed. Gives a more consistant look.

Well that's it,

Pat and the rest of the Maukly crew.

Mauk GA
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk