Cob 4 cob questions

JohnBoik at aol.com JohnBoik at aol.com
Wed May 26 13:43:19 CDT 1999

Hello all:
I am a civil engineer, new to cob, but interested in building a cob house and
a cob mixing machine.  If you would help me in this, I have a few questions
for the list.  Any assistance is appreciated.  Please send replys directly to
johnboik at aol.com and cc the list if you like.  My questions are:

1)  For a two-person work crew, what would be the optimal size of mixing
machine (in cubic yards) for one days worth of cob.

2)  Using the tarp/pit method, how long does it take two people to make a
given amount of cob (for example, ? hours to make a batch of ? cubic yards of
cob)?  Any time estimates using other mixing methods?

3)  On an average six-hour work day, how many cubic yards of cob could a
two-person crew place on walls (excluding the time it takes to make the cob)?

4)  On the average, how much straw is added to a mix (for example, ? pounds
per ? gallons of cob)?

Thanks much for your help.
Best wishes,
John