Cob 4 cob questions

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Mon May 31 16:18:23 CDT 1999

<<
 1) For a two-person work crew, what would be the optimal size of mixing
 machine (in cubic yards) for one days worth of cob.
A. The best mixing machine for cob is a rototiller of 3-5 horsepower.  If you
want good quality control for the mix try mixing on a parking slab.

 2) Using the tarp/pit method, how long does it take two people to make a
 given amount of cob (for example, hours to make a batch of? cubic yards of
 cob)?  Any time estimates using other mixing methods?
A. This depends largely on the quality of the clay.  It is very difficult to
hydrate and begin mixing very dry and hard clay.

 3) On an average six-hour work day, how many cubic yards of cob could a
 two-person crew place on walls (excluding the time it takes to make the cob)?
A. I do not know there are too many variables.  In a project I worked on in
BC (Canada) we had a crew of 20 people doing all foot mixing (with tarps).
We were working on a small house (about 15'X20") and had the walls up to
about 5-6' level by the end of the week.  You can extrapolate from that, but
you have different conditions so your extrapolation is of little use.

 4) On the average, how much straw is added to a mix (for example, pounds
 per? gallons of cob)?
A.  I would guess that 1/3 to 1/5th of the volume is straw.  The walls we
built were 18 inches thick, but here again I am guessing.

	In experiments that I conducted at a cite in Tacoma Park MD. I found
that a rototiller just about doubled the amount of cob that you can mix on a
tarp.  This is because the tiller mixes up sand and clay and tends to form a
granular mixture which can be quickly hydrated.  We did the final mix on a
tarp because the builder wanted "quality cob", but I believe that the foot
mixing could have been eliminated all together and the moving and loading
could have been done with a dirt fork and wheelbarrows.  Since you are
working with only two people this might be important.
Ed