Cob: insulation, passive solar heat

Jennifer S Schaper schapernut at juno.com
Sun Jun 13 18:49:40 CDT 1999

Hello, I would like to know how to keep a cob dwelling WARM  and not be
putting wood in the fire all the time .  What is the best way to heat a
cob home, and how do you keep the heat in?  What is recomennded to
insulate, and what about Passive Solar heating?  I have read as much as I
could in books, but still don't have a good grasp on what would work...
do I need to insulate the floor?  what do I use for the ceiling/ roof?
When on a valley floor, and 2 streams come thru, what kind of drainage
system would be recommended ?  do I change the foundation ?  Just how do
you cantaliver benches and countertops?  Is it smart to grow plants on
the walls, can you water seal cobb well enough to make a bathtub?  Lots
of questions and I am more in need of knowlede of the insulating, and
what is efective in heating the house of dreams.  Oh...I know that there
is cobb folks in Oregon, but are there any in washington ?   Thanks!!
Jenny Squeim, Wa