Cob: Lama (over), MREA Fair (now), Rico (soon), and Ecotopia (coming quick)

Mark Piepkorn duckchow at mail2.greenbuilder.com
Sat Jun 19 11:38:41 CDT 1999

	I hope everyone not reading this because they're at the fantastic
Renewable Energy Fair in Amherst WI is having a great time. If you've never
been, you're missing an incredible thing even as I write.

*

	Back from Build Here Now at Lama in Taos County NM, I'm waiting for Sun
Ray to get here so we can leave to go back up there for a one-day Solstice
Cob Sling; then off to Sundial Village in Rico CO for the Natural Building
Workshop there. Nice to see a couple of the teachers that were at Lama will
be at Rico too (Cedar Rose, Sun Ray, Tom Watson)... and getting together
with the likes of Bill Christensen, Doni Kiffmeyer and Kaki Hunter, not to
mention host Keith Lindauer, is always kewl. Looking forward to finally
meeting Michael Reynolds. The schedule for Rico is looking like this:

1999 Colorado Natural Building Workshop, June 24-27th

Thursday - All functions for Thursday are at Rico Theater (RT)
2-6pm        Registration and check ins
5pm          Welcome and Introductions
6:30pm       Atlas Arcology - Slide Show Presentation on Natural Building
8pm          Doni Kiffmeyer and Kaki Hunter - Slide Show Presentation on
Earthbag Construction

Friday
6:30-8:30am  Breakfast ~ Cantina
8am          Morning Coffee with Catherine Wanek and Mark Piepkorn - The
Last Straw/Black Range Films
             (Sadly, I don't drink coffee, and don't really work for Black
Range Films... grin... - Mark)
9:30am       Introduction: Strawbale Demonstration Project ~ Casita
11am         Introduction: Earthbag Demonstration Project ~ Casita
12-1pm       Lunch
1pm          Introduction: Cob Demonstration
3pm          Bill Christensen - Internet Demonstration; Discussion ~ RT
4:30pm       Steve Berlant - Slide Show on Natural Building ~ RT
6pm          Dinner ~ Cantina
7pm          Gary Duncan - Slide Show of West Slope Colorado Sustainable
Building Projects ~ RT
8pm          Mike Reynolds - Earthship Updates ~ RT

Saturday
6:30-8am     Breakfast ~ Cantina
8am          StrawCrafters: Strawbale Presentation ~ RT
9am          Scott Ely and Bruce Erikson -  Renewable Energy
Presentation/Demonstration ~ Griebel Earthship
9-11am       Mike Reynolds - On site at the Griebel Earthship
10am         Tom Wuelpern - Rammed Earth Demonstration
11am         Tom Bennett - Setting up a simple metal forge at home ~ Cantina
12-1pm       Lunch
1pm          Steve Berlant - Lime Plaster Demonstration ~ Casita
2:30pm       Cedar Rose - Earth Plasters, Natural Paints  ~ Casita
3:30pm       Mike Hannigan - Discussion on Natural Based Sewage Systems ~
Casita
4:30pm       Tom Wuelpern - Rammed Earth Slide Show ~ RT
6pm          Dinner ~ Cantina
7pm          Catherine Wanek and Mark Piepkorn - Slide Show ~ RT
             (Since I personally don't have a slide show, I'll be making
shadow animals with my hands - Mark)
9pm          SunRay's Slide Show of Natural Building ~ Cantina

Sunday
7am          Pancake Breakfast ~ Cantina
8am          Morning Coffee with Tom Watson - Discussion Sewage Treatment
Ultra Violet Light ~ Cantina
9am          Maggie Remington - Financing your alternative home ~ Cantina
10am         Susie Harrington - Holistic site planning, slide show and
discussion ~ RT
11am         John Sir Jesse - Herb Walk ~ Cantina
1pm          Keith Lindauer - Biodiesel and Farewell Comments ~ Cantina

Schedule Subject to Change

It's not too late to go... want to know more? Ask Keith at <keithl at csn.net>

*

For the more adventurous and travel-minded, you might think about Romania
in August:

From: "Ecotopia" <ecotopia at banat.ro>
Subject: Ecotopia reminder!

E  C  O  T  O  P  I  A    9  9    R  O  M  A  N  I  A
          a u g u s t   1 s t   -   2 1 s t
  C O M M U T I N Y   A U T O N O M O U S   Z O N E
   communities taking control of their own futures

ECOTOPIA is our social ecological utopia which appears in august once a
year every year. This year ecotopia has the general theme of sustainable
rural communities: traditional and intentional. Our power will be generated
by the sun and the wind. Energized by the 400-600 activists gathered to
share their knowledge, mix art with action, learn, link and think. MANIFEST
the virtual community by making space for three weeks in august in Romania.
Our time to gather and combine our resources and ideas for the coming year,
to inspire and live the vision of our COMMUTINY. Permaculture,
micro-economics, yoga, composting, genetic engineering, music, anarchism,
eco-community design, bicycle repair, art, direct action training,
veganism, dealing with the media, fundraising tips, counter-globalisation,
music, theatre, renewable energy, eco-construction - free strawbale house
workshop.

Dear activists!

This is a quick reminder from the Ecotopia 99 organisers in Romania, to say
that if you haven't sent us an application form and you would like to come,
then send it as soon as possible!! (see below)

We are getting a lot of applicants, and we need to know how much food to buy!

Also remember that the participation fee is only 15 ecos per day if you
apply in advance, but 20 if you just turn up.

Want more info? Email <ecotopia at banat.ro>

We've got a beautiful place; loads of workshops already arranged (but we
still need more...!); delicious veggie and vegan catering lined up; and as
far as we know the total solar eclipse is still scheduled for the 11th...

APPLICATION FORM

*PERSONAL DETAILS
Full Name: