Cob: Sprouting floors

Claude Stephens cstephens at bernheim.org
Mon Jun 28 08:49:43 CDT 1999

A friend recently poured an earthen floor (clay/sand/straw) in a new home in
Moab UT.  The floor is now sprouting from the seed bank that was in the
mixture.  We assume that this initial bloom will die off as the floor dries.
In fact, that is already the case in the door openings where the floor is
drying fastest.  We're wondering if we need to do anything other than wait
for the initial bloom to die off.  Any experience with this out there?
The floor layer recently poured is a sub-layer containing a radiant heating
system.  A finish layer will be poured later.  Is there anything we need to
do to keep the finish layer from doing the same thing or do we even need to
worry about it?
Thanks for your comments.

Claude Stephens
cstephens at bernheim.org