Cob: H2O filter

Paul Valerio valeri at io.com
Tue Jun 29 11:32:34 CDT 1999

Hey,

I was just called a hippie by a guy on the telephone.  I told him about
some ideas I have and he said several times "yeh, you are a hippie".  So
with that bit of info, here's an idea that I've come up with which now
needs some practical issues addressed:

In my search for land I've gone through various mental and emotional
processes and come upon certain obstacles, one being "water", second
only to "where to find good, cheap land with nice neighbors".  My idea
is to make a closed-system bath house for bathing and laundry purposes.
The water from the washing machine and shower would be filtered and
perpetually reused, thereby eliminating the need for a continuous source
of water to replace what has been used, as well as a disposal system.

The problem is how to effectively filter the water.  The soaps and oils
are the main concern.  The people that I've talked to seem to think it
would be easy enough to deal with, but I'm just wondering if anybody on
this list has already solved the problem.

What motivated me to come up with this is the desire to avoid giving
account of myself to county health inspectors.  If I can reduce or
eliminate wastewater discharges through the use ofcompost toilets and
closed water systems they seem to be satisfied.

pv