Cob: PLEASE HELP, I'm facing imminent eviction off my land

Liberaro at aol.com Liberaro at aol.com
Wed Jun 30 21:30:54 CDT 1999

listers,

i was just visited this afternoon by someone from the building code dept
(actually i was nursing the baby, my husband dealt with the visitor).  the
building code person reported that it "had come to his attention" that we
were without a running water/septic system and that a full-scale assault, i
mean inspection, will be forthcoming very soon.  if it is found that we do
not have a septic system and running water (among other things) we will be
evicted off of our own land.  we have a septic tank, however we do not have
it connected to the "house", and the "house" is also not plumbed.  it would
cost a great deal of money which we do not have to get the plumbing situation
solved.  the "house" which we live in is actually a very large garage which
we have semi-converted into a house.  of course we sought no building permits
to do any of the work on this building that we have done and our heads will
be appropriately stomped (and our pockets picked) for that horrid
transgression.  here's my question to the list:  i cannot understand why a
person cannot own their own land and then CAMP on it.  could we not just buy
a tent and pop it up and say we are staying there while using the other
buildings for storage while we build our house?  we have nowhere to go, with
3 children, and i have to figure out how to attack this problem.  if someone
were to sign an affidavit, for instance, which says that we live with them,
what's to stop us from *visiting* our land every day?  are they going to come
and check our beds at 3 am to see if we sleep on our land?  why can't we
*visit* our land at night, for that matter?  at any rate, i am interested in
the answer to the camping question.  i will be contacting an attorney
tomorrow, as i'm sure that the answer to these questions most likely will
depend on local laws.  however, if there is anyone out there who has some
general knowledge i would really appreciate your views.  we do have a travel
trailer which could much easier be attached to the septic system and running
water provided through the use of a sump pump and a garden hose, perhaps that
would satisfy requirements for us to be allowed to stay, but then a family of
five in a trailer?  that would probably bring out child services, do you
think?  thanks in advance for your help.

trina