Cob: cob in the great white north?

Joe Leonard jrleon at micron.net
Thu Jul 8 20:04:27 CDT 1999

Believe it or not we got a building permit for a Cob/strawbale sq. ft. home in
Idaho.  They approved an earth floor, cob interior walls, cob plaster, and a
rubble foundation. The health dept. also permitted a backwater wetland. We
decided to go post and beam to speed up the permitting process.  The post and
beam system including the roof  cost less than $3.00 sq.ft. the trusses are
going up this week.  The health dep. is requiring a 72' infiltrator to back up
the wetlands, I doubt that it will ever be used.  I am convinced that in the
north straw is the best material for outer walls and interior walls of cob for
its mass. We are building a covered porch on all four sides to protect the cob
stucco.
Joe Leonard