Cob: Re: Cob. Help me find lime?

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Fri Jul 9 14:21:44 CDT 1999

>Cheers Cob heads!
>
>Anyone know of a source of hydrated lime near Moab UT?
>
>Also looking for a good recipe for a lime/cob exterior coating to be used on
>buttresses (which are not very well protected by a generous roof overhang)
>and the exterior wall close to the ground (somewhat protected by a generous
>roof overhang.)
>
>Muchos gracias.
>
>Crow- <(0)

Hi Crow, Chemical Lime co serves the western US..out of Nevada, so check
with the building supply store, or feed store near you.  I talked with Dr.
M. Thompson yesterday and she was telling me their Hi-Calcium lime hydrate
( sold into feed stores for spetic/farm use- but I use it for cob/clay) is
OK for general use, but not for mortars since it doesn;t meet compression
strength, etc according to ASTM.

My understanding is that Type S mason's lime DOES spec. out for mortars and
plaster, and type N can also be used for plasters, and is being used.
Sieveing is receomended if there are too many dark bits for white plaster
...BUT one can also let the mix settle while soaking in water, and not
dredge up the bottom part.

On cob or in earth it won't matter about bits.

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing & Elk River Press
PO Box 6985 Eureka CA 95502  1-888-441-1632
More than 300 books for Building & Sustainable living
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/