Cob: RE: Insulation for cob

Kelly, Sean SKelly at PinpointTech.com
Mon Jul 12 10:06:53 CDT 1999

Max,

  Thanks for the site.  I would love to agree with you and Thunderhorse
Woman, and I do, provided you are living in a desert or mild temperature
(pacific NW or England) Clime.  I myself am looking to build in either
New England or upstate NY, which have extended periods of low
temperature, and often extended cloudy periods.  This precludes the use
of thermal mass alone as far as I have been able to understand
(knowledge espoused is purely gained from reading the archives of the
cob list... I'm up to June of 1998 now...), so I am stuck using another
building material (I don't understand why, but SB just doesn't appeal to
me... :-(  a failing on my part I guess) or insulating the one I want to
use to raise the insulative properties.  The double wall sounds great
(Dowt... why didn't I think of that?!?!) ...  What would one need, like
two 2' thick walls?  I'd want to make sure both of the walls were
sturdy...  That is one wide foundation...