Cob: Re: INSULATION FACTS

DoNegard at aol.com DoNegard at aol.com
Sat Jul 17 16:10:58 CDT 1999

Hello
 I have waited and waited for these opinions and these limited personal
experiences to drive someone else up the wall.

 I want to see some factual information appear shortly and regularly on this
list:

 1. A list of the insulation quality of many different materials, including
fiberglass and shredded newspapers.
 2. A clear simple explanation of how R-Value is determined (in the
laboratory and in the field, if possible).
 3. Does R-value as standardly tested, really the same as comfort level.  I
have heard the numbers for earth for a while, and I am not yet convinced that
all materials that give the same R-value, will also give the same comfort.

 One thing I know for sure about interior house walls: if they are very cold
to touch in the winter, the room is going to feel "too cool".  I have seven
inches of fiberglass in my walls, and a foot in the ceilings.  I now pay $80
per month for natural gas to heat this super-insulated 1060 square foot house
in the coldest (Mpls, MN) months.  Twenty years ago, when this house was 380
square feet with a layer of brittle tarpaper for "insulation", and
fifty-year-old windows, it cost $80 a month to heat it.  These are some of
the raw numbers; I still need to know gas price earlier, and the degree-days
over the years, and the seasonal heat bills.  Maybe when I get settled in Hot
Springs, SD, I will figure it all out, as I am interested in natural,
comfortable, form-follows-function, cheap, interesting housing.
 Don (still in Mpls, MN)