Cob: RE: Insulation for cob

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Sun Jul 18 11:49:39 CDT 1999

On 17 July 1999 22:16, alexander neumann [SMTP:alex at privat.kkf.net] wrote:
> Here in germany I would not build uninsulated exterior cob walls, not to
> mention that itd be illegal. Id rather go for strawbales, but thats also
> somewhat illegal still.

As Don has asked for facts on cob and various others have voiced opinions
on matters ranging from the use of newspapers as insulation to the many
uses of sawdust as insulator and composting aid, I thought I'd jump in and
offer a few perspectives.  These don't answer any of the questions but
might help those who cling tightly to convention to see where the other
side are coming from, both historically and with an eye to the future.

On laws, codes, and regulation.
Alex suggests that cob would be illegal in Germany, I've no reason to doubt
him.  The many USians on this list regularly mention "codes", in England we
have "Building regulations." These are by definition local affairs, in a
way they are a statement of what was regarded as good in the immediate past
in a particular locality and a recommendation of how to build today.  Since
many on this list are still considering tomorrow, the regulations, laws,
and codes applied to building are relevant but are not (in most states)
incapable of change if change is desirable.  Cultures, like laws, also tend
to be local and also do not, for various reasons, embody solutions to every
human problem, it may be that the finest way to make a chair for example is
not the way your grandparents made them, or the way my grandparents made
them, but the way of some remote Chinese village.  The Internet is allowing
us to share knowledge across cultures, but to make sensible use of this we
need to recognise that cultures and laws vary so not every bit of well
designed and well intentioned law is the realisation of some absolute
physical fact (e.g. cob is NOT a suitable building material because it
doesn't have an R value of ??) or some cultural fact (e.g. cob has never
been used here before so it can't be any good).

On the suitability of cob.
-----------------------------------
The constant concern about the insulative properties of cob should perhaps
not be taken by cob enthusiasts as a criticism, but an indication that the
battle for cob is almost won!  I say this because throughout the long
history of permanent structures as home insulation is a very new arrival.
 The primary purpose of a permanent structure as a home is for security
from other people and wild animals and protection against adverse weather,
they also make a good place for social gatherings, etc.  The fact that no
one seems to be attacking the structural properties of cob must be a good
sign.

On why insulation is important.
In the last 40 years or so a couple of important things have happened to
make insulation important in colder climates.  The first has to do with
global power (the human kind), for a long time the oil producing countries
frightened many governments, then the oil and gas multinationals managed to
gain the power, the governments were still frightened.  In the last 20
years environmental concerns have entered the mix and the pressure
continues to be on individuals to minimise their use of fuels through high
taxation, etc.  Don't get me wrong I don't want to see foreign governments
or multinationals holding everyone to ransom, and I don't want to see (or
breath) pollution and waste, but I think it's important to recognise the
history of the importance of insulation.  Other parts of the world will
vary but in the UK the majority of the housing stock is actually rather
older than 40 years so most homes are poorly insulated, my own house is
300+ years and I've spent most of my life in houses with solid walls
(usually brick with no cavity).

On your environment.
-------------------------------
One of the things that attracts many people to the idea of building in cob
is the idea of low environmental impact, the use of local materials with
low energy input and when it's no longer needed no one need ever know it
was there.  An important part of minimising impact is how you live, maybe a
lifestyle change would make cob more attractive, perhaps when you've got a
cob home you'll spend more time there, travel less, wear more (or less)
clothes depending on the weather. One rather narrow and to my mind
uninteresting aspect of personal environment is in the construction of an
environmental cocoon where your temperature (and humidity?) is kept
constant for 12 months of the year (24 hours a day?) at the lowest possible
energy use.  Sure as an engineer I can see it has a few interesting
technical features, but only a few.  There's much more fun than that to be
had in creating a stimulating and pleasant space in which to live, work,
etc.

On everyone else's environment.
The world does seem to be changing.  Rich countries are expecting poor
countries to maintain important forests, etc.  Poor countries are expecting
rich countries to burn less oil and gas, pay fairer prices for raw
materials, etc.  Most of the world's population are either living in poor
countries or they're poor people living in rich countries (which might be
worse).  Whether you view your own impact in terms of what you do now to
help, or what you leave behind, even if it's just a house that will provide
shelter to other families for a couple of centuries or more, it's important
to consider how what you do will impact on others.

Michael Saunby