Cob: RE: Origins of Cement vs Cob

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Mon Jul 19 03:40:14 CDT 1999

On 18 July 2099 16:00, H. Wayne [SMTP:hcrowbird at lawtonnet.net] wrote:
>     Wow
[BIG SNIP]
>    From the die hard cobist view, how dare you make cob with cement in
it.  It is NOT true cob anymore.  Oh well, what can I say.  Some folks are
just not open to suggestion, no matter how helpful the idea might be.
[snip]

The notes I have from the Devon Historic Buildings Trust (scanned copy at
http://www.chook.demon.co.uk/cob/page2.gif for now) say: A good, well
graded clayey sub-soil containing plenty of straw requires no other
additives.  Given the right conditions a well constructed cob wall will set
almost as hard as rock, so the addition of lime or cement is quite
unnecessary.  It is claimed that lime was added to cob, presumably in order
to achieve a faster set, from the 1850s onwards, though there is no record
of it having been used in earlier times.

OK, so I know that doesn't prove anything, but it's probably a fair
statement of an historical truth from my part of the world.

Another reason why cob buildings in Devon might have outlived (there are
many 400 year or so old) concrete buildings (none) if there had been any is
that no buildings of that age have foundations.  Therefore the lack of
complete rigidity (another word for strength?) means that a cob building is
tolerant of a certain degree of ground subsidence, mine has numerous cracks
in it that have been filled over the centuries, I've even made a few small
repairs myself.  I guess that when building directly onto a clay subsoil it
makes sense to use a material which will accommodate any movement.  Perhaps
I'm being unfair and concrete buildings would have lasted just as well.

Why no older buildings?  There are very few domestic buildings in Devon
older that 400 years, perhaps because the introduction of chimneys and
other social and lifestyle changes here made the earlier hall-houses, etc.
unsuitable.  It could be that it's just not possible to build a house that
would be just right for 1000 years except as a monument, perhaps disposable
(after a couple of centuries) earth building is as good as you can get.  I
suspect however that the 16th and 17th century builders in Devon did reuse
quite a lot of the materials from the no longer fashionable houses, or
converted them to barns, etc.  Certainly the timbers in my house don't all
look the same age, some are repairs but others look like reuse.

Michael Saunby