Cob: Re: Cob Insulation

Keftydia at aol.com Keftydia at aol.com
Mon Jul 19 19:41:17 CDT 1999

This may be a silly idea, but it's something I've been wondering about.  Has
anyone thought of using old plastic soda bottles for insulation?  Admittedly
it would take a lot of them, but could embedding the 20-oz, 2 liter, or 3
liters bottles in a cob wall contribute to increasing insulation in cob?  I
read in the archives once (I think) that one couple insulated their roof
using old cardboard milk cartons.  I realize the plastic bottles aren't
exactly the most ecologically conscionable things, but finding a way to
insulate with them would at least provide a method of putting them to use (as
opposed to ending up in a landfill).

Ron Cameron