Cob: COBB AND INSULATION

Sojourner sojournr at missouri.org
Mon Jul 19 20:59:50 CDT 1999

DoNegard at aol.com wrote:

> << You don't have to worry about animal or insect infestations in the
>  exposed bales, right up against your house, where rodents are like as
>  not to gnaw through your earthen walls.>>
> Are you telling me that mice and other little critters don't
> like to live in straw? . . . Oh, I'll bet you are talking about
> straw bales that are covered with a cement-like coating.

Sorry to be so unclear, I should have worded it differently.

What I meant by the above was that LOOSE BALES laid up against your wall
would undoubtedly become infested with all sorts of micro-life.

Might be amusing for the family cat, but probably not for the people.
<VBG>

> << If you're going to coat them over with a mud plaster to avoid many of
>  the above mentioned problems, to me it makes the most sense to just
>  build them into your walls to start with and have done with it.  YMMV.>>
> Yup.  What does the jargon term/acronym "YMMV" mean?

Your Mileage May Vary.

Holly ;-D