Cob: Re:apology re dumb & etc

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Mon Jul 19 22:08:53 CDT 1999

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 Otherfish at aol.com wrote:

[snip]
> cob you need to make your walls monolithicly thick.  To make a safe double
> wall will mean building two THICK walls.  Real massive !!!!  Two thinner cob
> walls with an insulation break in between can be potentiallly dangerous
> structurally.  This means double wide foundations, way wide lintels, way wide
> top of wall bond beam in seismic areas, tying the roof into two walls &
> probably more issues not immediatly apparent.
[snip]

John,

I've been playing with this idea for a couple of years (though I haven't
tried to build anything along these lines yet), and you have overlooked
another possibility.  You could go with one thick structural wall on the
interior, and a much thinner exterior wall that is only required to
support itself and enclose the outer insulation (it could even be lightly
coupled to the structural wall for added strength).  Originally I was
thinking cob for the exterior wall, but after a number of discussions with
other cobbers, concluded that using a wattle and daub approach would be
stronger for a thin non-supporting retaining wall.  I can't remember who
first suggested an approach along these lines to me, but it was most
likely either Michael Smith or Kiko Denzer.

Shannon C. Dealy      |                    DeaTech Research Inc.
dealy at deatech.com     |               - Custom Software Development -
                      |         Embedded Systems, Real-time, Device Drivers
Phone: (800) 467-5820 |      Networking, Scientific & Engineering Applications
   or: (541) 451-5177 |                       www.deatech.com