Cob: RE: Windows & walls

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Tue Jul 20 01:50:32 CDT 1999

On 20 July 1999 00:45, John Schinnerer
[SMTP:John-Schinnerer at data-dimensions.com] wrote:

> "Legend has it" that the old Devon 3' - 4' thick walls were a less
careful
> mix, often with very short straw, thus needed to be thicker...

Perhaps, but at 18' to the eaves and 31' to the ridge a Devon cob farmhouse
isn't tiny, and many are still standing.  Certainly a legend!

As for windows, when I was young we were always told that most of the heat
lost from even a solid wall building went through the doors, windows and
roof.  Hence the importance of controlling draughts, of curtains and a well
insulated roof.  To think of large heavy walls "sucking" heat from a house
is rather ignoring the physics of the whole situation.  The unfortunate
consequence of all the insulation and draught proofing of recent decades is
that many houses in this country are inadequately ventilated which can be
very unhealthy.

Michael Saunby
Devon, England