Cob: RE: Re: Insulation etc

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Tue Jul 20 11:14:15 CDT 1999

On 20 July 1999 10:24, Mike Holland [SMTP:mholland at cyberservices.com]
wrote:
> Would smoke deter woodworm?

Maybe, maybe not, I don't know, though there is/was certainly a belief
among some people that it does.  It may just be that the free circulation
of warm dry air seasoned the wood, making it harder and more resistant to
attack.  I certainly don't share your experience of the embedded timbers
having been attacked less, it could be my walls have (or had) a higher
moisture content and/or lower lime content, or that the timbers were green
when the building went up and yours were seasoned. Its also likely that
where present limewashes and lime plasters were only applied to this
property long after the damage was done.  The earth walls and earth
plasters certainly haven't protected against wood worm.  That said the
timbers are so substantial that there is no problem resulting from loss of
strength except in a few floorboards.

Michael Saunby