Cob: Thermal Mass and R-values

Sojourner sojournr at missouri.org
Fri Jul 23 13:09:34 CDT 1999

"Kelly, Sean" wrote:

> Thanks everyone for all the perlite/vermiculite info... any
> way anyone knows of to determine how much insulating capacity
> a given amount of perlite (if vermiculite absorbs water, that
> is no good...) may add to a cob mix?

Actually, I'm not sure this is the problem I thought it might be.  I
remember using vermiculite in plaster mixes (can't for the life of me
remember any ratios, though) and someone else posted that it is used to
make a lighter weight cement mixture.

I guess it is just something you would have to try and evaluate the
results.

Holly ;-D