Cob: RE: Re: CobWrap? (was: Thermal Mass and R-values)

Kelly, Sean SKelly at PinpointTech.com
Mon Jul 26 12:50:38 CDT 1999

Morning Cobland!

Not as laborious as building an extra 6-12" of wall with perlite or
vermiculite in it...  So what kind of insulative value does light clay (or
straw clay slip or whatever) have?  How breathable are the woven polybags?
I only wonder if they would hold a plaster well?  Solves the straight wall
issues with strawbales...  interesting suggestion.  DANG I can't wait until
I have a bit of land to play on...  Right now I rent the basement of a stick
house in suburbia land.  What little (10' on each side) "yard" we have is
covered in little rocks and shrubs. :-(

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Grace Benjamin [mailto:grey_sea at hotmail.com]

Hello everyone;

Here's a LABORIOUS idea, but it just might work.  I'm sure all of us have
seen house-wrap.  The most prevalent is Tyvek, but there are other brands as

well.  Well what about some sort of a cob wrap with burlap and straw?  It
could be applied as a layer of straw in clay slip, followed by the burlap to

keep it smooth and pretty.  After the burlap you could apply whatever
weatherproof coating you chose.

I just thought as I was writing-  the burlap may degrade over time; so maybe

those woven polybags that Pat's been using for his super-adobe may work
better.  The idea is that you add an insulative layer; without adding the
work of a whole other wall system.  It's just a thought, I haven't tried it.

  Has anyone tried anything similar?

Best Wishes to everyone reading,
Grace