Cob: Re: Roll Roofing

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Fri Aug 6 16:10:42 CDT 1999

While I'm this mad rush to beat winter and get into my house, I am
working on completing the roof. I've been looking at EPDM but the other
day I was paging thru the latest issue of Fine Homebuilding.

And there on the back cover was this way cool house called the Mushroom
house. The fellow David Lee build the place in 14 months with a total
of 4,000 man-hours. But the point that caught my attention was the
roof. He took various colours of roll roofing and cut the bottom
portion of the roll in this wavey pattern and layered them on the roof
(with the wavey portion showing). It was a serpentine pattern inspired
by English thatch roofs. I  thought this would look nice on a cob house
and be quite cheap. I mean roof roofing is around 10 cents a square
foot in cost.

Anyway, just a thought

Pat Newberry
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk