Cob: Re: Thermal Mass and R-values

Tom Fetter tom_fetter at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 20 10:25:48 CDT 1999

Hi Tony.

Based on what folks said in reply to my similar query a while back, I'd
probably encase strawbales within a cob wall -- more cob on the inside of
the house (for structural and mass reasons), and either a thinner cob wall
on the outside of the bales, or a thick mud plaster (which, if straw is
incorporated, amounts to much the same thing).

It will be important to have a good, high foundation with a damp barrier,
and significant overhangs.  This is to protect especially the bottom portion
of the wall from splashback, and keep it dry.  It will go a long ways to
prevent flaking and cracking due to moisture in the cob freezing.

I'm inclined to include strawbale insulation all 'round the house, including
the south side, and rely on south facing windows for solar gain.  In Ottawa,
as in Edmonton, there are enough truly long stretches of cold in the winter,
that I'd be afraid of too much heat loss.  What may be fine in Arizona,
Oregon etc. I think just won't be workable in the kind of climates we live
in.

It also occurs to me that it may be possible to build somewhat higher
"lifts" of cob in this technique - the strawbales would act as one side of a
form, and may give enough added some support to the mix to prevent slumping
'till the courses were a few inches higher.  Sticking some bamboo stakes
etc. through the strawbales into the cob on each side may also prevent bale
settling -- both sides of the bales would effectively be held in place by a
masonry wall.

BTW, if you get private responses to your note, I'd love to be copied on
them, if the senders agree.

Tom Fetter.