Cob: RE: how do folks handle other responsibilities during building?

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Mon Aug 23 14:10:27 CDT 1999

On 23 August 1999 18:00, Tom Fetter [SMTP:tom_fetter at hotmail.com] wrote:

> So folks, what have the veterans of the process learned about how to do
this
> type of project without ending marriages and causing juvenile
delinquency?
> Scrabble together a large enough nest-egg to build and live without a job
> for 6 months?  Inherit?  Keep one partner working at a truly lucrative
job
> while the other heads up the building crew?

In the past it was a community effort.  When the law of this land (England)
required that a house must be built between dawn and dusk and a fire
burning in the fireplace and a roof covering it all to show ownership of a
plot, folks did it by calling on friends and family.  OK they weren't big
places and wouldn't satisfy building regulations or even be safe, but they
did it because when it mattered to them they could and they couldn't do
anything else.

Seems to me if you've only got one income you might actually have more
labour than you think! That's not meant to be harsh, but as with most
things, if you really want it you should go for it.  At least you'll know,
unlike many others, when it is all becoming too much.

Michael Saunby