Cob: Re: OL: Cob-Strawbale Hybrid.

Tony Glaser aglaser at engsoc.carleton.ca
Thu Aug 26 19:40:17 CDT 1999

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 louis at pcmagic.net wrote:

> >I need to become a plumber, electrician, mason, ventilation guy,
> >foundation guy, moisture-protection guy, pest-controle guy, glazier,
> >passive solar guy, renewable energy guy, roof guy, cob guy, strawbale guy,
> >architecht, designer, and construction worker, and probably a hundred
> >other things
> >
> >All this while studying electrical engineering.
> >
> >I've decided not to put any time limits on the project!
> >
> >Tony
>
> Hey man, I think you've just figured out what it's all about!  The journey
> of a thousand miles starts with the first step yada yada yada ...  That's
> the way it's gotta be, for those of us blazing our own trail.
>
> Ah, maybe diplomat too, to negotiate with your local code authorities.  On
> my first little project, I forgot about that one--Big Mistake!

Actually, my partner and I are considering some land in the area. It's 22
Acres of grown over farmland with some new growth forest for 18k Canadian.
We could bike their from Ottawa in 3.5 hours (yes, we would).  I spoke to
the building official there and told him exactly what I want to do. He was
very friendly and enthusiastic!  He thought it was a great idea and said
he would give me a permit as long as I got an architect and an engineer to
'ok' the plans as 'equivalent' building material.  I think I'll talk to
some people in the civil engineering and architectural school of my
university.  If I get the right people interested, I could have free
testing, consulting, and ultimately approval.  Woo-Hoo! Here's hoping.

Imagine... a cob-strawbale hybrid with passive solar and geothermal
heating, solar and wind fed battery power, dry composting toilets, and
water-recycling plumbing. All approved and legit. That's my dream for the
next few years.

Here's hoping there are more building officials as open-minded as the one
I spoke to today.

Tony

Anthony Glaser
aglaser at engsoc.carleton.ca
http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~aglaser
Year 2 Electrical
Faculty of Engineering, Carleton University