Cob: how do folks handle other responsibilities duringbuildin g?

Tom Fetter tom_fetter at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 10:01:02 CDT 1999

<snip>
how would such a machine be any different that all the existing
>(expensive, resource-depleting, highly manufactured, energy-guzzling,
>noisy,
>dangerous, dehumanizing) machines that we already have and use to construct
>dwellings?  If it were as simple as mechanizing most aspects of housing
>construction, well, that was done decades ago...
>
>John Schinnerer

John,
I think there is a significant difference between building a "conventional"
house, using lots of high-tech and high-energy consumption methods, and
mechanizing some aspects of cob (or other environmentally sound) building
techniques.

I think that we've got to consider the lifetime energy consumption of
something like a cob house - which will be here possibly to the next
milennium.  As you know, most frame houses aren't intended to last more than
40-50 years at the outside. I've personally got few problems with building
houses with very long lifespans using methods which enable a much broader
usage of building techniques which are sustainable (i.e. not relying heavily
on forests, highly processed materials etc.), even if they may include a bit
more "embodied energy" at the outset.  The energy consumption more than
evens out over the long haul, and if mechanization allows a broader use of
the building materials, all well and good!

Tom.