Cob: East Timor Project

John Fordice otherfish at home.com
Wed Oct 27 16:09:00 CDT 1999

Rosemary,
Rice straw is a big problem here in California.  The rice growers burn it
to be rid of it, but recently there have been laws passed to limit this
in order to control the resulting air pollution.  As a consequence,
growers are searching for other outlets for the rice straw.  Bales of it
are readily available here & I & other folks have used it for the straw
in cob.  It's a bit more difficult to work with ( you just need to pay
more attention to introducing iit evenly into the mix).  Other than that,
it works fine & in my opinion makes excellent cob.
It might be that the Timor rice production also can provide rice straw -
all other things being equal, it ought to be a very good source for the
straw in any cob made there.

Question: how do the Timorese handle the straw resulting from their rice
production?  Is it at all mechanized?  Do the produce bales?

john fordice