Cob: Re: cob walkways- use lime

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Tue Nov 2 00:07:54 CST 1999

>Hello all,
>I have had an enquiry about cob being used for a path in a public area where
>there will most likely be a lot of traffic.
>Can anyone answer my queries?
>Do you know if cob has been used for pathways?
>If so - was a hardener added and in what proportions?
>Thanks - Anne
>--
>Calling from the Lower Murray Network, service of Noel & Friends.
>Email info at lm.net.au or visit http://www.lm.net.au/ for more information!

Hi Anne, don't know about cob alone, especially if  subjected to rain, but
DO know that lime and clay/ together wil make a very hard stabilized earth
walkwaly they will last. Also lime/eart/soil combination has been used in
Australia as foundation pad for entire houeses, roads and streets, so it
can support weight.
( I have a multi page report on what they did)

  Lime will make the clay soil resisit water, no heaving etc, and is often
compacted with rollers or a truck  being run back and forth on it to make a
firm area. try a small patch, with a bag of builder's lime ( about $7.50)
mixed 10-30% with loose clay soil ( no organics) and see how it works.

Lime used to dry up muddy work areas and compact mushy soils is done by
spreading bags of lime x amount per sq. foot..then compacting, let harden
up.

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing 1-888-441-1632
PO Box 6985,Eureka CA 95502