Cob: bullet resistance of cob

Tom Fetter tom_fetter at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 16 18:00:19 CST 1999

Fair enough - makes sense in war zones.  I was reacting from the point of
view situation of what I think is most members of the list -- folks living
somewhere in Canada or the US.  While it's perfectly rational to want to
build in some "fortress" characteristics to your housing where civil or
other wars are endemic, that's not the situation for most of us here.

What I was reacting to, maybe too swiftly and judgementally, is a worry that
the list would be hijacked for a while by discussions reflecting a
libertarian "Montana Freeman-esque" view.  Your comments regarding Central
America are valid -- but I still feel that a discussion of the
appropriateness of cob building to folks of a paramilitary or isolationist
bent is more appropriate off this list than on.

As to another list member's comment that a firearm is nothing more than a
type of drill - a value-neutral object designed to make holes....

... uhm, fine -- for hunting rifles.  But you won't convince me that assault
rifles or handguns evolved primarily for recreational purposes, even though
many if not most of them in North America are only shot at targets.  I think
that objects -- be they guns, racing cars, violins, or petitions for peace
-- reflect the intentions and support the values of their creators.  That
said, this list isn't the place to carry on that discussion either -- but
members can feel free to contact me privately.

Tom Fetter.