Cob: finishes on cob sculpture

Noreen Crone- Findlay cronfin at oanet.com
Thu Nov 18 07:55:51 CST 1999

Hello,
I have been lurking on the Cob list for a few weeks and have a question. The
images of cob buildings that I've seen on the net have really gotten me
hooked on cob. They really sing to me!
I decided to try my hand at cob in a very small way. I want to do some
sculptures, benches, a gate and possibly  a wall for our garden next summer,
so I made a "Cob Dolly" a few weeks ago. She's a small sculpture in cob, and
has now dried out completely. (I think).  I am wondering how to finish her,
and the sculptures that I will be making in our yard next year.  I want to
explore the sculptural possibilities of cob before I commit myself to a
house! (Although cob houses come closer to my dream home than any other
material I've ever seen!)
Thanks for your assistance.  All the best, Noreen
PS: our beloved 15year old dog, Chaucer, died this week, and I think that a
Cob Dog sculpture will be a wonderful way to celebrate her life.