Cob: Re: Re: Cob + Strawbale + Earthships (fwd)

David Knapp renewables at bigfoot.com
Thu Jan 13 10:07:07 CST 2000

Tony,

The soil that is rammed into tires is relatively low moisture, something under 10% if I remember correctly.  The same soil works great in the rammed earth, earth bag technologies.  Cob in its best form has more moisture than that in order for it to be pliable enough to be hand molded into the wall.  If you where to try and squeeze a cob loaf into a tire, after the tire is nearly full, I'm afraid trying to push more into it to bulge the tire would simply not work.  Even though a piece of old cardboard or feedsack is used in the bottom to cover the hole in the tire, the cob would simply want to squeeze out the top when you tried to push more in.  If you used less moisture, it might help, but then you might as well stick to the normal rammed earth process.

Also, if you go to the trouble of installing posts to stabilize the tires, you may as well skip the tires to create a post & beam frame that you can cob/straw bale infill.

I'm all for mixing of natural building technologies to create our individual master pieces, but certain combinations become fruitless when blending them too much.  It's better to stay with a given technique and add too it without altering the original process too much (I'm all for anyone making a small backyard demo :-)

For example, we'll be building into a S-SW slope.  We are going to build the earthship shell (to take advantage of earth tempering via the berming) and use rammed earth, straw bale (end walls) and cob (as much as possible) for the utility room and bathroom wall partitions as much as possible.  I want to avoid all plywood and/or processed wood where a natural alternative exists as a better solution.  While the greenhouse sections will have sloped glass on the south facing sections, the kitchen section will have vertical glass (less glare and easier to control shades).  We moved the plan for the refrigerator to the other side of the hall about five feet to the north into the dining room U and am adding a small rammed earth partition so the winter sun hits that instead of the refrigerator.  When we start adobe filling the tire void, we will be finalizing where we plan to add several cob benches (mudroom, living room next to wood stove, etc).  In each case, the varied natural building techniques are all present and anyone showing up to help can jump right in on their individual expertise without much confusion.  Our earthship will be in the mountains at 8,700 feet, so we are doing everything to maximize our passive solar gain, large mass for earth berming for tempering our heating and cooling, and heavily insulating the ceiling (R-60 to R-100!).  We wanted a living roof to further help buffer temps, but we also want to catch clean rain fall so we had to go with a metal roof (Propanel) for our 10,000 gallon water cisterns.  Because this is a canyon with 12,000 foot mountains to the east and west, winter solstice (Dec. 22) only brings 3 hours of sunlight per day.  Another earthship close-by has worked out a deal to sell their excess PV generated electricity to the local utility in summer and buy it back at the same rate in winter when there is a short fall (they do have battery storage for grid outages).  I will negotiate with the utility to settle up on any excess once a year on April 1st to reduce income taxes (Ideally we want to produce 99.999% of what we use averaged over a year).

In order to get a building permit, the tires will have to be rammed with earth in the normal manner, else an engineer will not risk his reputation and career to sign off on the drawing.  As an alternative, you could build a demonstration wall that the code folks could monitor.  It'll cost a bit to get the engineering data needed to get them to buy into it.  My guess is that most folks building in natural building techniques would rather quietly slip between the cracks and not draw attention to themselves.  Since we are building in a planned subdivided sustainable community, we had to go with what the code officials would buy into without much fuss.

Dave

David & Sheila Knapp
Winnebago, Illinois
Renewables at bigfoot.com