Cob: RE: thermal efficiency

Kelly, Sean SKelly at PinpointTech.com
Thu Feb 17 10:32:28 CST 2000

You know... I was a bit weirded out when the article talked about a cob
house and then in reading found out that it is actually all light straw
clay.  I mean, they _are_ related, but light straw clay isn't exactly a
'form' of cob, is it?  Ah, semantics in any case, and a beautiful example of
alternative building.  I particularly love the stone entryway around the
door...

In any case, cob has great thermal mass, but not so great insulating
properties.  Light straw clay (I know.. .long long long, but I am no good
with German and can't spell leichtamblaug or whatever that cool German word
for it is ;-) is better at insulating, but with not so much thermal mass...
Correct?  I still gotta build something with cob... as soon as it gets
closer to spring.

Sean