Cob: Re: Cob Buildings in MD or VA?

Jud Malone jmalone at boydmaier.com
Thu Mar 9 08:30:07 CST 2000

Not in Va. or Md., I'm in eastern WV.  I have a foundation half-done and "plan" on doing the walls late this summer.  You are welcome to come by to help and/or look around.  If you are interested, let me know and I'll send you all the pertinent info.  It's a fairly small building, about 200 square feet, south-facing, oval-shaped, with a dry-laid stone foundation three feet deep.

Just as an aside, if you are building a cob house in a cold area like mine which requires a deep foundation, I DO NOT recommend natural stone!  It takes forever!  Next one I build is gonna have a rubble trench foundation of 3 inch gravel dumped in up to the grade and natural stone on laid top of that.  Don't get me wrong, I love building with stone, but between gathering the rocks and then laying them up, we're talking alot of time.  If I didn't have a job I might have a different opinion.

Jud Malone