Cob: RE: GBlist: FW: Hempcrete blocks

Maine, Bruce bmaine at hdrinc.com
Thu Apr 27 12:28:16 CDT 2000

Hello, Debra.  I hope a dialogue between the Oglala Sioux Nation and
interested parties like the Nebraska State Recycling Association, (and it's
South Dakota counterpart), the Joslyn Castle Institute for Sustainable
Development or the Nebraska Strawbale Association might somehow enhance this
process and assist in assuring success.  But "green" building materials are
only part of the equation here.  I will be happy to keep any of you informed
if you'd like to contact me off-list.
For those of you have not been to Pine Ridge or are not aware of deplorable
conditions in which these people live, I can only suggest this is one of
those cases where the lines dividing sustainability of the built environment
and sustainability of the human condition are clear and wide.  Moreover, as
long as I'm on the soap box, only a couple hundred miles away Cargill and
Dow are engaged in the new technology of generating consumer goods from food
sources when so many in this world go hungry.  I sometimes have to wonder
what is really progress and what is greed dressed in the clothing of
sustainability.  Enough said.

Bruce