Cob: Re: Showers in Cob houses

Robert Bolman robtb at efn.org
Fri May 12 02:23:56 CDT 2000

>For a round shower curtain rod I
>have looked at 1) making one out of piecing together PVC pipe with 45degree
>angle and straight pieces and 2) seeing if I could bend conduit or
>something like that in to a circle.

Hi Cheryl,

Just for your information, PVC is of a very sinister family of chemical
compounds known as Persistant Organic Pollutants.  This chemical family
includes DDT, Dioxin and PCB's.  Creepy stuff.

The metal conduit idea sounds fine.

Or I would suggest you try to using a couduit bender on copper tubing which
you could then solder together with copper water fittings.  Or you could use
45 degree fitings.  Soldering copper is pretty easy.  Just borrow a little
propane torch from someone.  Wipe your joints after the solder has hardened
(so they don't turn green).

Copper does come from large open pit mines, but it is fully recyclable and
the production of it is NOT suspected to be responsible for rising cancer
rates and dropping sperm counts as with PVC.

Be well,
Rob