Cob: Re: COB OR EARTHSHIP?COB OR EARTHSHIP?

Robert Bolman robtb at efn.org
Wed Jun 14 20:43:02 CDT 2000

 How cold does it get where you live?
How much sun is ther during the winter?
How much money do you have?

People ask should I build cob, strawbale or earthship?  My response is to
build all three.  Integrate them into a system that works for you in your
climate and budget.  If you're cold enough that a serious insulation value
is needed, then use straw bale, but include the beauty, affordability and
thermal mass of cob.  If you live where there's a lot of sunshine during a
cold winter, then build an earthship-like design for its solar performance.
Regardless of solar heating needs, consider including some of the earthship
"systems" like grey water, catchwater, permaculture, appropriate technology,
etc.

I hope this is helpful,
Rob