Cob: Edmonton cobbers?

Bill Hunt billhunt at redrock.net
Sat Jun 17 22:45:07 CDT 2000

Hi W, and hello to all on the cob list!- Just a somewhat delayed message to
note again that cob is not a great insulator in very cold climates, but is
great mass for thermal storage.  Cob is one of the most enviromentally
friendly wall systems, however (virtually no fossil fuel energy is needed
to make cob, for example. Strawbale usually needs a baleing machine, and
some transportation).   There are many well insulated wall systems that
compete with strawbale on an insulative basis.  However, straw is perhaps
the most environmetally friendly, unprocessed form of insulation.
Cellulose, made from recycled newspapers, is also a reasonably
environmentally friendly form of insulation, which performs much better
than the heavily marketed fiberglass.  Strawbale with cob elements
(benches, sculptures, etc) , and thick, cob-like earth plaster, is a good
way to go in cold climates.

Cheers- Bill

----------
> From: W <uwu at angelfire.com>
> To: Patti  Edgar <pedgar at finearts.uvic.ca>; Shannon C. Dealy
<dealy at deatech.com>
> Cc: coblist at deatech.com
> Subject: Re: Cob: Edmonton cobbers?
> Date: Sunday, June 11, 2000 10:13 PM
>
> Poor Insulator?
> uh oh.  I was under the impression that cob was second only to straw bale
in insulative properties.  (with cob walls being the same 16-20 inches
thickness of bales)?
> ---
> PeaceLoveLightLifeBeautyTruth
> W.
>
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2000 23:03:51   Shannon C. Dealy wrote:
> >On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Patti  Edgar wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> I've recently relocated to Edmonton, AB from Vancouver Island. Has
anyone
> >> heard of any cob building out here? Are the winters too cold in
Alberta