Cob: COB

Jennifer Lynn Highsmith mumega at eagnet.com
Fri Jul 21 19:38:29 CDT 2000

Hi everyone!  I live in St. Marys, Georgia and am so glad to see there are others from Georgia.  I have met, on line, one couple who also live in Georgia and am hoping I get to go see their home soon (they invited me but my car is messed up). I am completely new to cobbing and am reading this list a lot and not sending notes to it very much.  I am learning so much from just reading everyone's posts.  I hope you all don't mind?
Wow a carpenter in Georgia!  BIG TIME!!!  You probably won't have any trouble grasping the concept of cob design.  I on the other hand had best read this list some more lol!  So far all I have found out on my own is that I can buy a truck load of dirt for $8.00 from my local recycling center.  I was really happy to see it is "dirt cheep" hehe!   I am yet to locate straw but am looking the same way I was for the dirt (sorta keeping eyes peeled and ears open).
Boy I have a lot of pine needles also.  Too bad I can't make my shed out of pine needle basketry!  But I figure the big bad wolf (or in my case it would be one of our lovely tropical storms) would blow that kinda shed in!  I also have not as yet found out what the sand will cost me.  I want to get an understanding of what is available in my area.  I also want to be sure little petite (5') me can build this stuff.  I'm concerned that when I get to near the ceiling area that I won't be able to heft the cob up there.  I will pile some of it onto a small board and heft it up a bit at a time like every good ant on a mission would do I guess.  Too bad I can't sew my shed as I am good at that haha!  I have lots of skills but none of em point to cob.  When I was growing up girls were not allowed to attend wood shop (boys only).  So I have a fear of electric wood working tools and chain saws.  That's part of why I chose cob but I have finally realized I will have to use tools to make window frames!  Has anyone used non-power tools to cut boards?  Like a hand held saw?  I am not afraid of that but it seems to take forever to cut anything.  Plus the sound of power tools seems to damage my peace and serenity (anyone else notice that?).  Sorry Mr. Carpenter I don't mean to offend anyone.  I used a push mower (non fuel powered) for many years for the same reason but at 42 years old I had to admit weakness and bought a self propelled mulching mower (gas powered).  I have a good sized yard and no one but me to mow it.  I refuse to pay someone to do that which I can feasibly do myself.
Well I'm off topic.  Sorry.
Anyway I just want to thank you all for your postings and if you don't hear much from me it is because I am listening to you all and learning and haven't got much of value to contribute yet.
Jennifer Highsmith