Cob: Re: Cobber's Thumb and Knitting cob together

Cobworks cobworks at idmail.com
Fri Jul 28 23:55:04 CDT 2000

Hello cob list;
     The system I have been using on my cob projects to get a good bond from
one days cobbing to the next is as follows. I always leave the wall at the
end of the day rough and full of holes.  If drying has been a problem I will
spine and rib the wall.  In the morning  I take a stiff brush and thoroughly
wet the top of the wall.  With my first load of cob I take a handful and dip
it in water which makes a wet cob.  I then take this "adhesion" cob and work
it into all the holes and rough surface on the wall.  This is a very thin
coat that bonds well to the last layer.  I then begin Gaab cobbing on the
wall.  I get good bonding and the process of building the wall gets speeded
up.                                                       Patrick on Mayne