Cob: Re: Welcome Mother Nature

Sarah Kopp kopp at kinneret.co.il
Sun Aug 13 12:05:16 CDT 2000

OK, I know this post may not make me popular but I can't take any more of
this...

Building a house is all about shelter.  Most of what we want to be sheltered
from is nature.  Birds and bees are great in their environment, but not
necessarily in mine.  While building my strawbale house I was enchanted by
the birds who came in to strip random seed heads of grain; I nicknamed my
house "the birdhouse."  But birds bring mites and lice, and those insects
can carry diseases.  In fact my house was so badly infested with straw itch
mite that it was questionable if we would be able to move in this year when
it was completed.  How does getting 200 bites per day grab you as a great
way to share your home with Mother Nature?

I am building a house because I don't want to sleep outside worrying about
weather, bugs, snakes, etc while sleeping, eating and doing all the other
cozy activities that I do in my home.

Making your portion of earth a refuge for nature and wildlife is great -
birdhouses, bat houses, butterfly and bee attractors, amphibion habitats,
rare plant nursery all great stuff and you don't have to have them in your
house.  One meter away from your house, in your garden, they are sharing
your habitat.  In the walls of your house they are intruders.  Keep them in
their place and you and your home will be healthier and happier.

Sarah
Tsfat, Israel