Cob: Insulation

Russel Johnsen wpgweb at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 12:03:23 CDT 2000

I have some ideas on insulation with cob which I would
like to  begin testing next year (once we have some
land).

I had thought about straw bale cob hybrid with straw
bale between cob walls but I do see some
incompatablility here.  Straw needs to be very dry and
with the moisture going through a breathing wall I am
worried about moisture buldup in the straw thus
rotting it.

I would rather build a semi-double cob wall with air
pockets through it.  These could be tubular running
from top to bottom.  I would consider using a wicking
material for the whole length of each tube to wick any
moisture to evaporate in the attic.  I don't see this
as a major source of moisture so a well ventilated
attic should be able to dispell any moisture quite
effectively.

I would also like to fill each tube with ground up
styrofoam waste -- coffee cups, meat trays, industrial
leftovers etc.  This is a good insulator and is
readily available with a bit of scrounging.  It is
also not water retentive.  It settles minimally.

Another avenue we are considering is a stack wall cob
hybrid.  The more insulative stack wall would be the
outside with a cob thermal mass interior.  Both walls
breathe so they should be compatable.

We would like to use cob for a few of reasons:

*its flowing and sculpturable attributes
*fireproof -- love to have candles all over in nooks
and crannies
*we can itegrate cob with the windows to create very
interesting design
*Cob is fun

RC

=====