Cob: The lifespan of straw

Mike Wye mike at mikewye.co.uk
Sat Aug 26 13:20:52 CDT 2000

Dear Shannon,
your reply to Bob re the lack of a track record of straw bale building
quoted an example in Nebraska where livestock ate bales from a house which
you thought might be 70-100 years old. This story may refer to Fawn Lake
Ranch, Nebraska which is cited in The Straw Bale House. The house was built
in the early 1900's and an extension in the 1950's required the building to
be opened up and the story was that horses reached over a fence and ate some
of the 50 year old bales that had been set aside.
The story doesn't add what happened to the horses.
In England there is a long history of using straw and reed for roofs but
building walls of cob/stone/brick.
There seems limited evidence of any straw bale building despite the
existence of the raw materials and this must reflect our damp climate. Here
in the UK there seems a lot of confusion as to the requirements of external
renders and plasters for straw bale structures- should they breathe or
prevent water penetrating the straw, what paints are compatible etc.
I've also noted the promotion of many materials such as cement renders,
concrete foundations, plastics which go against the grain of trying to use
natural materials.
>From Mike Wye,
Mike Wye & Associates,
Cob builders and restorers in England,