Cob: Fw: Insulation

Patricia L. MacKenzie ruanmackenzie at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 27 13:59:34 CDT 2000

*********************Sarah wrote:

> >Straw like cob wants to be protected from wetting and to have a very
>vapor
> >permeable coating.  Even if you were to build a strawbale wall and a cob
> >wall inside that and outside of it - a straw sandwich, the moisture that
>the
> >cob would pick up inside and outside would transpire out those respective
> >surfaces before it would move through the straw, because although
> >evaporation will occur toward the warmer surface experience with earth
> >plastered straw walls indicates that the earth holds moisture better than
> >straw, preventing wicking of moisture into the straw until the sun dries
>it
> >out again.  This is dependent on the thickness of the plaster,
>too............
> >Sarah
> >Tsfat, Israel
> >*********************

To all,
What Sarah has suggested about a sandwich of cob sounds to me like some of
the brick I had been reading about - the two layers with a filling between -
and that it sounds as if the moisture itself from condensation would be kept
away from the interior walls, solving the moisture, mildew problem I just
wrote about.....
However, given time constraints, it sounds as if it would be possible only
if the actual time existed to double construct.
P.
ruanmackenzie at hotmail.com