Cob: Re: cob vs strawbale

Russel Johnsen wpgweb at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 09:23:34 CDT 2000

Hi,

Well bulding codes are part of the problem.  Also a
rubble foundation (Frank Loyd Wright) has won
acceptance to give the needed stability.

In Winnepeg and surrounding area we not only have a
frost that can go 8 feet deep we sit on land that is
quite moblie.  It is some 40 feet down to rock and
that 40 feet is composed of layers of clay etc which
tend to shift and slide.  Our roads and highways fall
apart quikly here.

So I need a foundation to protect to the frost line.
We can now do shallower foundations with the frost
protectted foundation method which raises the frost
line substatially around the foundation through the
laying of insulation from the foundation about 4 feet
or so out from the foundation.  This will protect
against frost invading beneath the pad.

I do like the enviromental qualities of this type of
building but my specific interest is affordable
housing ie: cheap.  So steal re-inforcing is a must.
Lastability is in my equation for cheap!

RC

--- marksaich <marksaich at zoom.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>     Just one query.....
>
>     Why have rubble footings if you are going to
> make a thickened toe
> concrete raft?
> With a little nominal reinforcement to the concrete
> (if you can bear to use
> steel) the raft will span any local soft spots and
> if there is any movement
> the structure will move as a whole rather than
> differentially resulting in
> cracking/failure.
>     The introduction of an unconsolidated layer
> beneath the concrete seems
> to be imposing an uneccessary risk to the stability
> of the concrete.
>
> Mark

=====
MistyMorning Designs