Cob: Cob questions

jennifer duran loverofcolorado at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 4 09:39:47 CDT 2000

Hi folks!
My name is Jennifer Duran and I have heard about cob about a year and a half
ago.  Immediately I went out and bought "The Cob Builders Handbook" by Becky
Bee. I read all of it in one day and enjoyed the concept immensely. Here's
why I am writing you all: I am about to graduate in December from college. I
am 23 years old. I am currently living in an apartment, and I hate to think
of how much money I am spending on rent that I will never see again. I guess
I have realized for a while now that I would like to build cob, but haven't
really thought about it seriously. I allowed the thought the thought to pass
through my mind about buying a new home, but besides the fact that the
market in Austin is crazy, I just don't see myself doing that. I want to
begin building my cob home in about a year. I need to save up money and find
a place to build and do more research. How do I start? What do I do first?
1. How much money should I have to start this project?
2. How long do you think it will take? (I know this question is hard to
answer because it probably depends on how much time you put into it).
3. Is Austin a good place to build? It tends to be humid here, but not too
much.
I would appreciate ANY responses to my quite muddled plea.
THanks,
jenn