Cob: Earthquake.

BOB LUITWEILER owl at steadi.org
Thu Oct 19 08:16:13 CDT 2000

I wish we had some more definitive answers to earthquake "proofing" cob
buildings.  I certainly don't but would like to throw a few idea into the stew of
speculation.

1. Please, everyone on this list, learn to be a researcher when you travel to a
region that has "primitive" buildings and earthquakes.  For example when you go to
the Near East visit eastern Turkey.  Perhaps with a student as interpreter, talk
to many people who have been through an earthquake about their buildings and their
experiences.  Ask which buildings came down, which ones did not, what their
foundations were and their shape. Do they build tapered walls?  Were there any
curved walls?  What kind of roofs did the buildings have?

2. Make careful notes.  Take pictures.  Bring this information  back to our
coblist.

3. I have a few bits of information.  In Managua, Nicaragua their central city had
a serious earthquake.  The buildings were adobe, not cob.  One of the most
devastating effects was not the just the buildings falling on people but the dust
was so thick people suffocated. Now it is illegal to build with adobe there.

4. I attended a village wedding in Turkey.  Part of the ceremony was a folk dance
on the roof of one of the houses with at least twenty people.  The roof was flat
and massive.  First there are timbers, then smaller sticks then clay and cob on
top.  I doubt anyone would survive under that roof in an earthquake.

5. In Syria some roofs were dome shaped.  I think they were coated with gypsum. I
was not tuned into studying mud based buildings then or would have asked more
questions.

6,  At present I am trying to get information on how to make thick straw panels
held together with gypsum. If they were made without crushing the straw they would
be quite light, being less dense they people under them might survive.  Hollow
straw would be good roof insulation. The gypsum would be much cheaper and more
environmentally friendly than Portland cement.  It would also make the panels more
fire resistant and rot resistant.  How strong they would be is another question
and they would not  be water proof.  A good waterproof cover would be needed so
they did not soften from water soaking into them.   The trusses holding them up
could be cast out of flattened straw which has quite good tensile strength.  I'll
give anyone asking details on this who is ready to try making a couple.  I am,
unfortunately, in a situation where I can not do this kind of experiment.

There are a number of companies making straw panels and straw boards but they use
industrial processes.  They make high claims for their end products as good
replacement for many things where wood has been used in the past from wall
partitions to stair treads to counter tops and furniture elements.  We are just
beginning to develop the potentials of fibrous materials so much of which has been
burned in the past.  In sustainable environmental communities almost no organic
materials will ever be burned.  Much will go into mulch and much into building
materials more sophisticated than straw bales.

Bob Luitweiler.